Friday, December 5, 2008

Week 14 Post

Am I off on my numerical postings? Are we at Wk 13? I think I've lost track....

Cloud Computing and the Future of Libraries

I think that these type of services will become incredibly popular in the future. Haas and Saas seem a cost-saving alternative to the costly hardware and software that libraries, and most other institutions, implement today. A centralized locale for hardware and software frees the user from place constraints, allowing them to access information from anywhere. Because of this, I agree with Thomas Frey that libraries must transform themselves into institutions which preserve culture, instead of just being repositories for information.

I don't agree with the dramatic changes Frey suggests. I don't think changes will be as profound, or take place as fast as Frey proports, and I definitely don't think 'literacy will be dead' by 2050.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I Also think that this cloud could save a lot of people and a lot of libraries a lot of money. I use these services everyday, but do not even think of them as a cloud! IT was an interesting read!